I know many hours go into developing apps. I also know we're only in
the first version on the iOS side of things. Please don't take this
feedback as a total slam of Nearby Explorer, and know that some of
this could be just personal preference that no one else will take well
to.

There are toggles on the home screen that would feel more at home
organized in the Settings menu. Since there is no straightforward
means of automatically acquiring one's current position, the least we
ought to be able to do is experience an uncluttered Home Screen.

One suggestion would be to only present those buttons on the Home
Screen one chooses to toggle on. For example, if I turn off GeoBeam
and Compass, they should not appear in the Home Screen until I choose
to toggle them back on.

It makes little sense to apply the same context menu options to every
item in the Home Screen. It seems no matter what icon you tap, the
options generally include Add Favorite, Add Watch, Virtually Explore.
The wording is not exact, but you get the idea. Why not make these
options available on the Home Screen itself? They would certainly make
more sense than the unnecessary list of toggle options.

When using the Compass to get a sense of the next upcoming street, the
user ought to be able to say how far out the app should look. When
walking, I am only really interested in the next upcoming street,
something the app seems to struggle with. When it lists the next
several streets beyond the next intersection, it doesn't even provide
an accurate listing in the order the streets actually exist, and that
seems a little troublesome considering we're talking about Downtown
DC, not exactly a remote area.

Approaching streets in a vehicle is hit or miss. I tested the app
against my bus's onboard GPS system that calls out stops as we
approach them. Sometimes the app would call them out, more often it
would not, and sometimes the intersecting streets would not be called
out until after we'd driven past them.

Portions of the manual could be written with better clarity. For
example, consider this passage from the GeoBeam section:

"The second position is the normal Geobeam operating position. It is
achieved by rotating the device 90 degrees counter clockwise from
position 1, (as though you were shaking hands with someone). As you
move your device into this position, Nearby Explorer makes a sound.
When you move it out of Geobeam position, Nearby Explorer makes
another sound to confirm."

I don't know what that means. I don't usually rotate someone's hand
when shaking, and there is no specification as to what they mean by
Position 1, a reference that does not appear anywhere else in the
manual. I'll assume Position 1 is holding the phone horizontally with
the display facing up, but the rest of the instructions still make no
sense because   when they say to rotate, are they talking a vertical
rotation or a horizontal one? Yes, it could be I'm just an idiot and
can't read right. :)

On a similar point, I wish the distinction between destinations and
watch points was a little clearer. Can we use more common terminology
and call Watch points breadcrumbs? I think that's basically the
equivalent and makes more sense than calling something a Watch. A
breadcrumb would indicate a point does not have to be tied to a
specific address.

My comments generally stem from a feeling that the app in some ways
became more technical than it needed to be. The level of flexibility
is great, but for the most part they seem to give more knobs and
buttons that don't necessarily need to be there. The primary purpose
is navigation, and the quality of the navigation is really more
important than whether or not I turn on or off the accuracy levels and
whether or not I need to grind down to such a granular level as
determining whether Nearby Points are on or off and whether Nearby
Distance is on or off.

This is in no way meant to discourage anyone from purchasing the app
if they have not yet done so. Some things ought to be fixed before it
can fully convince me I made the right choice in seeking out an
alternative to my previous arrangement of using BlindSquare in
conjunction with Google or Apple Maps. As lukewarm as I felt about
BlindSquare, I feel the things it does right are really done well and
executed in an intuitive fashion. At $80, even without a subscription
fee, I want my cake and at least enjoy a good size bite of it too. So
far, it's been eighty dollars well invested in the APH developers, but
let's hope the developers do not sit too long on the plateau of
introducing the app to the iOS platform.

Best,

Joe