The reason the screen is lighting up when your friend picks up his phone is
because he has the raise to wake feature on. Also, his rest to unlock setting
is probably off. I think y'll find the raise to wake setting in the new display
accomidation settings, but I'm not posative. You'll find the rest to unlock
setting in Settings/General/Accessibility/Home Button.

Thanks,
Ari