From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Marc Rocheleau
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:16 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: A few new iPhone 5 features which have not been mentioned much

Just to add some more info about the new connector (I thought it was eight
pin, not nine... although the point is the same really.) Apparently they
made it smaller because they couldn't continue making products thinner with
a 30 pin connection slot taking up valuable hardware space. Supposedly it'll
be apple's standard connection "for many years to come" according to them.
By that logic, I can't fault them for making the change -- they would've had
to do it sooner or later.

What irritates me more is that the adaptors are $35 each -- at least in
Canada. Personally, I think they're ridiculously over-priced and Apple isn't
allowing any 3rd party vendors to create adaptors of their own for the time
being, if ever.

On one hand, it's smart because it creates an added revenue stream for Apple
but on the other hand, I find it kind of sleazy. No one was really asking
for the change or a thinner device so why do we have to pay to retro-fit
things? As far as I know, no adaptor comes included with the phone, which
would've been nice. Perhaps it could've been absorbed into the cost of the
phone but oh well -- looks like that's not going to happen.

-Marc

On 9/13/12, Sieghard Weitzel <siegh...@live.ca> wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> I don't think I came across many posts who mention a few additional
> iPhone
> 5
> changes/improvements. First, the iPhone 5 has a new 9 PIN connector.
> This means if you have a music dock or even the Apple iPhone dock and
> iPhone cables you will not be able to use any of them with a new
> iPhone 5. Cables you can use if you buy an adapter, but I don't think
> this would work well for sticking your iPhone onto a dock. I think
> especially for some who have purchased expensive players like a Bose
> Soundlink or similar this "improvement" is not so cool. I would
> consider it an improvement though simply because I get the feeling the
> much smaller connector will be more stirdy and one very nice feature
> is the fact that it's reverseable which means it doesn' matter which
> way around you stick it in, it fits either way.
>

> Second, the iPhone 5 now has its headphone jack at the bottom where
> the dock connector is. Apple did not mention this specifically, but
> apparently Rob from the Today in iOS Podcast did confirm this.
>

> Third, a new iOS 6 camera feature (at least for the iPhone 5 and 4S)
> allows you to take a photo while you are recording video. Maybe not so
> much a feature many of us would use, but I think it's a nice feature
> as there might be a scene you want to capture as a photo while you are
> recording a video, now you can without stopping your video recording.
>

> Lastly, I found it interesting that Apple did not mention the Podcast
> app and none of the comments I read where people were naming apps
> visible on the home screen during the event mentioned it either. I
> also just looked on the apple.com website under "iPhone" and "Built In
> Apps" and Podcasts was not mentioned unless I missed it. I have the
> feeling that this may not even be part of the initial iOS 6 release
> since Apple's Podcast app has shall we say received less than
> favourable reviews and ratings. Maybe they will work on it some more
> and get it right before they force it down everybody's throat.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Sieghard

"There is no shame in being who you are. There's only shame in not going
down swinging to protect it"