Hi Tom, Richard, and Others,

I listen to a lot of classical music, and these labels typically had/have
extensive liner notes for their CDs. It turns out that for some of these
titles you can download the PDF digital booklets from the label's web site.
 Here's an example: I have an old CD recording of Christopher Herrick
playing Back Toccata and Fugues on the organ from a Hyperion recording.
Hyperion is one of the classical record labels that offers PDF digital
booklets for their music.  Now, it's easiest if I know the CD of the
recording, which in this case is CDA66434, and type that into the search
box, but in general I may not know that.  So, I'll type in something like
"Herrick Bach Toccata and Fugues" and press return on my computer, since
I'd usually do this on my Mac.  Then, I'd navigate to "Albums" and find the
two albums listed there.  Mine is the second, older one, so I'd select its
web page:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA66434

On the album web page, I'd navigate to the link for "Digital booklet (PDF)"
 and download the booklet.  There's an AppleScript on the AppleScripts for
iTunes site called PDF Adder:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=pdfadder

This will let me use the same tags to add the PDF booklet to my iTunes
library.

As for why record stores don't provide more digital booklets under iTunes,
read this article:
http://www.mcelhearn.com/why-record-labels-dont-provide-more-digital-booklets-on-the-itunes-store/

Basically, Apple imposes a specific format for digital booklets.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Esther