Hi Pablo,

Everybody decides what to spend money on and how connected one wants to be. I
didn't say the Tile is a bad thing, I just made a point about how some
technology is created to make you continuously spend money, how many companies
try to collect as much information about your habits and likes as possible and
how many products are also designed not to last too long and to be replaced
rather than repaired which of course adds to one of the biggest but least
discussed issues of modern life - garbage.
If you like the Tile anbd find it useful that's great, I was just saying that
my personal choice is that I would not buy a product like the Tile which I know
I have to replace in a year or a bit more than a year. I dislike the idea that
the company says they can do what they want with the information they collect
and I wonder what happens to the Tile when the battery is done, do you send it
back to the company when they send the replacement or do you throw it in the
trash or recycling bin? Given the cost and how much shipping costs I somehow
don't think they'll send you a prepaid return label so you can mail it in to
them where they replace the battery and use it again.
Another great example of waste is with most printers today. You can buy one for
$50 to $100, when the ink runs out it's often cheaper to throw it away and buy
a new one because often new cartridges cost as much as the printer. If
something happens there is no way it can or will be repaired because again it
would cost more to do that than to buy a new printer. Then there is all the
packaging, many small things come in big blister packs and all of it goes in
the garbage which is why there is a pile of junk floating in the pacific that
is twice the size of Texas and that's just the north pacific patch (one out of
5 garbage patches in our various oceans).
All that plastic is broken down by sunlight, the salt water and waves and now
is starting to show up in the fish we buy at the super market. I think that
problem is just beginning and they now found traces of micro plastic not just
in the fish stomachs but actually inside the flesh and nobody even knows yet
what consequences this will have on our health in the long run. Most people as
well as many companies make a big point about "being green", they drive
electric cars and design office buildings that are energy efficient while along
they way they continue to produce garbage in record levels. Most of us don't
plan ahead so we bring reuseable bags to the supermarket to put our groceries
in, you go to the deli and ask for half a pound of ham and it gets wrapped in
plastic and then it's put in a ziplock bag instead of people bringing the
container they use at home and which could be used for years and years.
I'm of course just as guilty as many when it comes to consuming and while I try
to do what I can to reduce the waste I produce I'm not always successful and
often can't be successful because if I buy something I need and it comes in a
package that is three times the size than it would have to be there is little I
can do. But I have started to realize that even with fun gadgets sometimes less
is more. I sometimes wonder about Android, but I like my iPhone, it does what I
need it to do and I just don't see why I should buy a second phone which most
of the time would only sit there and then in a year or two it's outdated and I
would need to replace it etc. Just my opinion.