Kimber,
I have always thought that this was a Bluetooth issue. iOS 10 X has been
plagued with Bluetooth issues. perhaps, it is Bluetooth plus voice-over
related? when it happens to me, I have the impression that the phone is still
thinking it is connected to my Bluetooth keyboard, even though that keyboard is
switched off. often, it might say "quick nav on" which implies to me that it is
thinking the keyboard is connected.

next time it happens to me, I shall try your method with locating the edit box,
turning off  voice-over, and then tapping the middle of the screen once. thanks
for the tip!
Sandy

sent from the dark side of the moon