From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Sieghard
Weitzel <siegh...@live.ca>
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 12:33:54 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Airpod question.

Hi Eric,

Good choice, I think the current Airpods are quite a rip-off and in fact I was
at an Apple Store today to buy a headset for my wife as an anniversary present
and I was looking forward to checking out the Beats Solo and walked away deeply
disappointed. I am in Canada so the Beats Solo here is $329.95 + taxes and
while they sounded OK I could simply not believe such a large and, according to
Apple, advanced headset has no volume control. First the Airpods have no volume
control and now the Beats Solo also has no volume control, if this is the
wireless future Apple invisions they need glasses. I ended up getting her a
pair of the new BeatsX since she prefers earbud style headsets anyways over big
clunky ones. As for the Solo I can only say that in addition to the lack of a
volume control the sound is also just OK, I mean it's good but not special for
the price. I have listened to many a headset that costs between $150 and $200
Canadian and think they sounded just as good.
Another thing I noticed is that the canadian price for the BeatsX is a lot more
favourible than that of the Airpods. If I am not mistaken the BeatsX in the
States are $149 and the Airpods are $159, a $10 difference. Here in Canada the
BeatsX are $179 and the Airpods are $219, a $40 difference in our currency. If
I use the current exchange rate and convert $149 for the BeatsX to canadian it
works out to about $195 Canadian, but Apple Canada only charges $179 so
compared to the US price it's actually a good deal. If I convert the $159 US
for the Airpods to Canadian it is $208 or $209 so at $219 Apple put a 5%
upcharge on it at least based on the current exchange rate. How a $10 US
difference works out to be a $40 Canadian difference when $10 US is about $13.2
or $13.5 I don't know.
All in all I think that currently you can get a much better bang for your buck
if you look at third-party headsets and the Apple W1 chip to me seems very much
overrated. In fact, apart from the admitedly simple pairing process and maybe
the fact that any other Apple device that is connected to the same Apple Id is
supposed to pair I don't see a big advantage.
If you think of it the initial pairing process of a regular bluetooth headset
is also easy and in my view just as simple. With the BeatsX you still have to
push and hold the on/off button and the only difference is that a message pops
up on the screen asking if you want to connect to them so you save yourself a
few taps by not having to go into bluetooth settings and to double tap on a
newly paired device. With the BeatsX I had to double tap on "Connect" and then
on "Done" with a normal bluetooth headset I have to double tap on Settings,
then Bluetooth and then on the newly found device so it's one double tap more.