Oh, I didn’t know I could do that with VoiceOver.  Where would I find how it 
responds to graphics or text?

 

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of 
Mary Otten
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:35 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Issue with VoiceOver not reading everything

 

Hi Jim,
About your second question first, have you tried a three finger swipe up to 
scroll the list? I know you said left or right didn't work, but how about up?

As for your second question, it could be that there isn't any real text on that 
page. It might be graphics, images with text, in which case of course VoiceOver 
isn't going to read it. How do you have VoiceOver set to respond to graphics? 
If voiceover is set to read only images that have alt text, that could be the 
problem. So you could try sending it to read all images, and then see if 
something shows up which, well garbled and messy, because it will be the file 
name, might give you a hint. In that case, the solution is for the app 
developers to use real text instead of graphics.
Mary


Sent from my iPhone


On Mar 16, 2017, at 8:53 AM, Jim Portillo <[email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> > wrote:

Good morning everyone.

 

I tried sending this last night, but I don’t believe it got sent, so I’ll try 
again.  I’ll make it brief, but it’s something I’ve not encountered before on 
either the iPhone or iPad.

 

I recently downloaded an app from the Univision network called Univision Now.  
It’s a Spanish language TV app which not only allows you to watch the network 
live and local but also allows one to watch shows and series on demand.

You can use the app in a couple of different ways.  You can either sign up for 
an account and pay either monthly or yearly, or you can use your TV provider as 
a portal.  Mine is Dish, so it makes sense for me to sign into the app using my 
Dish information.

 

When I tried going to the area which asks me to select a TV provider, I tapped 
on it figuring I’d get a list of choices.  A totally blind VoiceOver user would 
swear that there is nothing like that; although, I did learn that visually, the 
list of choices does appear and that one can make such a choice if VoiceOver 
isn’t on.  

This is the first time I see that VoiceOver doesn’t read everything that’s on 
the screen, which is very misleading.

 

I had a friend of mine, who is sighted, help log me in on my iPad and iPhone.  
However, a few days later, while watching a show, the app stopped again and 
asked me to sign back in.  Of course, I went back to where the choice should be 
and still couldn’t have VoiceOver read the choice for the Dish button.

This is going to get old fast, because I don’t want to have to rely on a 
sighted person to always log me in.  What’s even worse is that when I choose 
the Dish Network button, my log-on information is already there, so this just 
acts as a verification.

 

So, my questions are these.

What might be going on with VoiceOver not reading these particular choices?

Is there a gesture or keyboard command I can use or haven’t been using that can 
expand the screen or read more information?

 

In fact, one more little issue is this.  When I tap on a series that contains 
several episodes, only a few of them show up on my iPhone screen before showing 
me the bottom tab with other choices.  On my iPad, I can find many more or even 
all of the episodes of that series.  Again, is there a way to expand a list on 
a screen?  I know it’s not on different pages, so a three finger swipe to the 
left won’t work.

 

Sorry for being so elaborate, but I wanted to make sure and explain what was 
going on.

I have written to Univision to let them know about the only inaccessible part 
of the App I’ve seen so far.  Of course, this is a new issue for them, so 
they’re unsure how to proceed.  I gave them suggestions.

But, if this is something I’m doing, then I don’t want to place undue blame on 
the app developer.

Thanks much.

Jim

 

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.
 
If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you 
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
 
Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: 
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> . Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you 
can reach Cara at [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
 
The archives for this list can be searched at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> .
To post to this group, send email to [email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> .
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.
 
If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you 
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
 
Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: 
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> . Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you 
can reach Cara at [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
 
The archives for this list can be searched at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected] 
<mailto:[email protected]> .
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.

If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you 
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor.  Mark can be reached at:  
[email protected].  Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
[email protected]

The archives for this list can be searched at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to