For me the smaller size and 2 hours more battery life over the 8 Plus would be
pretty compelling reasons to fork out the extra cash for an iPhone X. Of course
that is also a really good reason for anybody who has a 6S/6S Plus or 7/7 Plus
to simply fight the urge to run out there and buy a new phone just so you have
the latest since I am pretty sure next fall every model of iPhone will have
Face Id and an OLED screen. I think most of us on this list are not part of the
group who has troubles counting their money and we really need to get away from
this expectation or whatever you want to call it to upgrade every two years or,
as some do, every year. Doing so costs hundreds of Dollars each year and given
how mature phones like the 7/7 Plus or 6S/6S Plus are there really is no reason
why one can’t keep them for 3 years. If you bought on a contract then going to
a low-cost MVNO after two years can save you at least $200 or $300 in your
third year, if you add that to what you would pay to get a new phone on
contract you almost have saved enough to buy said new phone after 3 years
without a contract. This means you can continue to stay with your low-cost
provider and save even more over the next 3 years.
Companies produce so much stuff these days and we are constantly bombarded with
ads and are told that we absolutely need all this latest stuff and while I am
the last to say no to all of it, I am sometimes amazed about how many devices
some on this list have who otherwise they they are unemployed and on a fixed
and relatively low income. I know there are also many who work and earn a
steady and comfortable income and I certainly don’t want to generalize, but
I’ve been on this list for many years and have noticed this trend.