I read books from Kobo, and for some months now, the longer the chapter, the
longer it takes VoiceOver to start reading after the command to read from the
top. It’s as though VoiceOver is digesting all the pages before beginning to
read. For 40 pages, it can take a full minute for VoiceOver to start reading.
Cheers,

Anne