You do need your phone to use your FitBit, at least as a blind person. The Charge HR does display the time, but since it doesn't talk itself, I can't read the time off of my Charge HR as a blind person. I use the FitBit app with Android now, but I don't see many unlabelled buttons, and I don't remember the experience on the iPhone being any different.