Hello Bill,

Go to Settings, and choose Display & Brightness. One of the options on that
screen is Raise to Wake. If you turn it off, your phone won't talk when you
move it around if the screen is locked.

As for making gestures you don't intend, I would suggest going to Settings,
choosing General, then Accessibility, then VoiceOver. On that screen is an
option called VoiceOver Practice. If you double-tap that, you open a screen
where you can try out the various gestures. VoiceOver will tell you which
gesture it thinks you performed and what that gesture does. Once you get
familiar with the gestures, you're less likely to perform ones you didn't
intend. there's a done button in the upper right corner of the screen that you
can use to stop practicing.

I hope that helps.

Best,
Anna