In this case sliding is a better term for what you need.I believe that most
people swipe and tend to lift the finger at the end of the swipe.

character is found in how you treat people who cannot do anything for you!
                          ***

From: M. Taylor
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2018 11:13 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: really struggling with the home button on the 10 r

Hello Jed,

Wow!  This really sounds frustrating for you.

To be clear, I've never even touched a 10 R but I quite frequently use the
other models of the 10 series via VoiceOver and have been impressed with the
results.

Have you tried rebooting the phone?

When I was getting used to the non-home button scenario, I remember that the
first challenge was remembering to swipe up from the very edge of the display.
This proved to be quite crucial.

So, try to get your finger as close to the bottom edge of the display as
possible and swiping up in one smooth, fluid motion.

I'm afraid that's all the advice I have to offer.

Mark