If it connects directly via wWiFi this means a lot of older devices that are
not network attached can't be controlled. I am in Canada and have a Bell
Expressvu satellite receiver which is hooked up to my network. However, Bell
already provides their own app which is quite voiceover accessible and which
allows me to see what's playing, select a program and set up the PVR
function of the receiver for recording stuff. My Sony LCD TV which is about
5 years old is not capable to be connected to my WiFi and I think there
would be a lot of people for whom your app would be more or less useless
because they have stuff that isn't network or WiFi capable yet.

I think having a solution similar to the RedEye remote is better as long as
you can find a hub that is reasonable in price. I haven't tried RedEye yet
because the hub is $200, but I probably will try it this winter. I wrote to
them and they claim it is Voiceover accessible, they are interested in
getting feedback and told me that through the retailer they offer a 30-day
money back guaranty should it not be to my liking.

I have tried one solution, the RE Universal Remote, which uses a 30-Pin IR
Dongle and while it works to some extend, it is not as Voiceover friendly as
it needs to be and what's more, I am not at all interested in something I
have to plug in to my phone because it is too inconvenient and I also found,
and this would apply to any app no matter how well it worked, that simply
the fact that I have to pick up my iPhone or iPod Touch, unlock it, go into
the app is slow by nature especially if all you want to do is turn the
volume up or down and I just don't see how I would ever use it over the
remote that came with my device. The same goes if maybe you are watching a
DVD and you want to pause it because the phone is ringing, I guess if it was
an iPhone app and assuming it would controla DVD player which you said it
doesn't at first, there could be a setting to automatically Pause when the
phone is ringing just like music playback stops when the phone is ringing.

Anyhow, there are many ifs and all sorts of issues. I like the idea of a
universal remote rather than having 4 or 5 remotes on my coffee table, how
cool would it be if Logitech put simple voice output into one of their
Harmony remotes.