From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Arnold
Schmidt
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 4:46 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Using Small Braille Display Question, was Re: Braille for seniors?!

I have never used a braille display,  so I hope this question is not too silly.
But for those who have one of the smaller displays, what do you use it to do?
The only reason I would invest in a braille display of any kind would be to
read books and magazines from BARD and Bookshare. But I would think it would
become really tedious to read a book with a less than 20-cell display, being
only able to read three or four words at most, then having to have it refresh
to read a few more words. Those whom I have asked say the main value in these
small displays is in their  ability to write braille, or maybe to check the
spelling of a word. But I surely can buy a bunch of bluetooth keyboards for the
price of even the cheapest small braille display, or I can use Apple Braille
Screen input, as I am doing to write this message. And, I already know how to
get VoiceOver to spell that word. If I ever were to get a display, I think it
would be at least 32 cells, preferably 40, which is the length of a line in a
braille book. Those whom I know and have asked say that they rarely use even
their large displays to read books, paper braille is much more satisfactory.  I
definitely believe  there may be something about this subject that I don't
know. So, thanks for any enlightenment.

Arnold Schmidt

Sent from  Arnold's  iPhone