Another piece of equipment I was checking out was the Concept2 rower. It comes
in two models. D and E. I think the only difference is that the E version sits
up higher at 20 inches instead of the 14 inches on the D and some other small
upgrades for a $200 bump.

My understanding is that they both come with an adaptor to monitor your
performance that can sync to Bluetooth devices and where you can export your
workout data.

>From the looks of it, the Concept line always gets top billing for best home
>rowers out there without going into the more pricey models that can run
>upwards of $3000 plus.

I believe I even came across an AppleVis forum where someone asked about
accessible rowers and someone mentioned that the wireless adaptor concept2
thing is completely accessible.

In general though, I think the most we as blind end users are going to get is
the ability to access our workout info after the workout. I don’t think I’ve
come across anything that somehow allows to monitor a workout on any of these
machines in real time or the ability to navigate the menus for different
programs or profiles and such.

My Nautilus for example can have four different profiles. Weight, height,
goals, etc. All that sort of stuff though is inaccessible to me. My wife had to
input all that in and basically, my profile is the default and whenever she
jumps on it, she just switches over to hers and back to mine when she’s done.

My Schwinn recumbent bike is touch screen. I just marked it up for the basics.,
Resistance, time, etc for when I just want to do a manual workout, but I still
use my wife’s eyeballs if I want to do a preset program. Easy enough if she’s
around or if she’s not home or whatever, we just facetime and she guides me
through the options.

Since it’s an older model, what I’ll sometimes do is set a timer on my iPhone 1
or 2 minutes before the program is set to end and facetime her so she can read
me my statistics at the end.

I know not everyone’s got a pare of live-in or willing eyeballs, but for the
bike at least, this inelegant solution has more or less worked for me so far.