Hi all.
As someone who has used both the Focus 14 and the Refreshabraille 18,
but who has my own personal preferences, here are my thoughts. I'm
replying to several messages at once here btw.
One of the advantages of the RB is the fact that you have 4 more cells
to work with. That may not sound like a big deal to some, but when
you're reading books and long emails such as the one I'm typing now,
it can become a factor. It certainly was for me, a braille reader who
uses braille about 95% of the time to access my iDevices. However,
there are some pluses to the Focus 14. I like the keyboard slightly
better, as I don't have to press so hard on the keys, the lower price
is nice, and, that awful USB plug present on the Refreshabraille 18 is
not an issue on the 14. I can expand on what I mean by the USB plug
comment if anyone wants.
And, finally, there is another option that has not been brought up
here as of yet. The Perkins Mini is a 16 cells display which has basic
note taking capabilities and is compatible with iOS 6. It's good for
reading books and you're not dependent on a connected device for
everything. The memory used is a micro SD card. However, I personally
do not like the keyboard, but that could be just me. Essentially, you
have the keyboard above the display, the display itself which is set
at a lower hight than the display, and then spacebars on the other
side of the display, meaning that they're quite a ways from the
keyboard. Some people have indicated that they become used to the
keyboard, but it was not comfortable for me. The price of the Perkins
Mini is $1549, which is more than the Focus 14 and less than the RB
18.
After reading all this, you're probably wondering my preference. I'm
not sure, since my preferences don't necissarily line up with anyone
elses. You have the info now, and I'm willing to answer more questions
as I can, but I never feel it's right to place too much on the
recommendation of another without having all the facts. What works for
me, may not work for you.

Hope this helps,
Scott