From: Sieghard Weitzel
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2020 9:44 PM
Subject: RE: just had a very scary iPhone experience

It really isn't a big deal especially with anything like the iPhone 8 which
Josh has and newer. The iPhone 8 has a rating of IP67 which means you can
actually submerse it under 3 feet of water for 30 minutes and it should not
hurt the phone. Of course while Apple tests this, they wouldn't recommend
you routinely do this, but just in case if it did fall into a full bath tub
and you took it out nothing bad would happen. The latest iPhones are
actually IP68 which means they can stand submersion under 2 meters (a bit
over 6 and a half feet) for I think 30 minutes or 1 hour.
Some of you may remember the story of my 6S Plus which I got after it was
released in September 2016. Then at Christmas I visited my family in
northern British Columbia, went for a walk when it was -30 degrees out and
promptly lost my phone. Despite hours of search along the approx. three
quarter long driveway (my family has a working ranch in a very remote area)
nobody found the phone. About 4 month later in mid April when the snow was
gone my brother had another look and easily found it only feet away from
where they all looked before, it was lying in the mud, by then it had gotten
warmer, during the winter it got warmer, it got cold again, it snowed and it
rained and all in all you'd think the phone would be dead. I told my brother
to stick it in a bag of rice and to mail it to me, by the time he went to
town and I received about a week passed and as soon as I got it I simply
plugged it in. At first nothing at all happened and I got busy at my store,
then a couple of hours later I came back in the office and not expecting
anything I pushed the side button, Voiceover came on loud and clear asking
for my PIN, as soon as I put it in the phone went crazy with dozens of
notifications, messages and emails coming in. Since by then I had gotten a
new phone this meant the SIM card was deactivated, yet after all this time
in the harsh elements the phone connected to my store's WiFi and at first I
thought all was working, in fact, I could make Facetime calls and all seemed
normal. This lasted until I told one of my sighted employees with great
astonishment that my phone had been found and was still working, but then he
said that the screen was black. At first I thought screen curtain was on,
but it was not and nothing we did made any difference. In other words, the
phone was working normally except that the screen was obviously not working
at all and later when I took it to an Apple store and they ran diagnostics
they also told me the camera seemed to be damaged as well. The long story
ended with me being able to get a replacement iPhone 6S Plus from Apple for
a relatively small fee under the Apple Care Plus coverage I had purchased
when I bought the phone, but still I thought it was pretty cool it survived
this long period lying out in the open in harsh weather even though it
didn't survive 100%, but all the touch gestures were working, all the radios
from WiFi to Bluetooth and so on were working, just the display apparently
was damaged as was the camera. I wouldn't be surprised if all would have
been fine had this been an iPhone 8 or even an XR, XS, 11 or 11 Pro.

Best regards,
Sieghard