From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 4:12 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Phones manufactured.

CAUTION: This is an External email. Please send suspicious emails to
ab...@michigan.gov

You are absolutely correct, it's fine for a phone to be made in China or India
or wherever, but you are not correct in saying that we have no control over
what working conditions are in place there. Investigative reports have exposed
such horrible places often enough or you hear about some tragedy like that fire
in a clothing factory in Bangladesh some years ago after which some pretty
horrific details came to light about the conditions there and the companies who
had clothing made there. We can demand from our companies to set certain
standards and, if they don't do so, buy products from a company which does. We
live in a global economy and that will not change despite America's current
phase of protectionism, it happened before after all, but it's up to every
person to set standards for themselves and to expect others with whom we deal
whether on a personal level or for the products we buy to also have standards.
It's not OK to say "Give me a $299 iPhone and I really don't care how you do it
and whether half the components are made by kids who are paid a few cents a
day". Fortunately Apple does have standards and if companies do then it may
indeed be a blessing if they go to China, India, Vietnam, the Philippines or
wherever to make their products, they can still do so cheaper than with lavbour
costs here and yet the workers there make a decent living. It's no different
with call centers, people often complain about agents who have accents because
they are in India or the Philippines, but I doubt those same people would want
to pay 50% more for whatever service because the call centers are in the US
where the wages are much higher let alone finding enough people for the work.