I completely agree that Ulysses is overkill if you don't intend to use if
for writing documents as well as notes. Drafts is splendid for notes.
Another one you might want to look at is Allegory. The developer has taken
steps to make it accessible. There are loads of choices for notes apps.
Another one known to be accessible is called Noted. It lets you record
audio lectures and timestamp notes. Quite useful for students. Check the
app directory on Applevis for even more on various note apps.

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power; The iOS Edition