Hi David,

You can find a thousand people who have a thousand good and bad stories to
tell about Windows, PC's and Macs. Yes, I have met plenty of people who
bought a Mac and hated it. You can also buy any laptop and sometimes end up
getting a lemon just like with any product. Just as you have your story with
your Sony and your MackBook Pro, I am super impressed with my Acer TimeLineX
Windows 7 laptop which I bought for $700 and I spend an extra just under
$200 back last January to replace the 640 Gig hard drive with a 120 Gig
Intel SSD. This is a 15.4 inch laptop, it's not as slim and light as a 15
inch MacBook Pro, but I also get close to 8 hours of battery life and it has
a beautiful keyboard with numeric pad. Due to the SSD it boots Windows 7 in
about 25 seconds, that's until Jaws is speaking in the log-on screen. I have
no problems having iTunes open, my Sonos Controller, Outlook, several IE
Windows, Skype in the background as well as 2 or 3 other of my business
related applications like my point of sale, accounting software and Excel.

Yes, I do pay $100 a y ear to be up-to-date with Jaws, but let's face it, I
used Windows XP for 8 years and never paid a penny to get any updates,
service 2 or service pack 3. More good news is that Microsoft seems to be
adopting a completely new pricing structure for Windows 8 which I understand
will cost something like $50, maybe a bit more for the Pro version. In any
case, I will definitely put Windows 8 on one of my PC's to check it out, but
as many businesses I have no reason to upgrade my Windows 7 business
desktops probably for at least another 3 to 5 years, in fact, many larger
companies still happily run Windows XP which recently celebrated its 10 year
anniversary. Tell me if you can buy a new Mac now and install their OS from
10 years ago, it's my understanding that there is no way it will work and of
course there is no reason to do so if you are buying a new Mac. But then
again you won't find many large corporations and by that I mean really big
where fifty thousand computers are deployed which all need to run some sort
of legacy software and have to be backwards compatible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't argue this way because I want to say Windows and
PC's are better than OSX and Macs, but the fact is that if  you compare
Windows 7 and OSX both running on good hardware, both are excellent
solutions and everybody has to decide what is best for him/her in their
situation. Ron made a very good point and that is that if you are working
for an employer whose IT infrastructure is all based on Windows and PC then
that is what your reality is. Whether you prefer to stick with that on a
personal level or use a Mac for personal use and deal with 2 very different
systems that is up to everybody to decide.