You are using a slightly spurious argument about businesses putting Windows XP
on all their computers. Nobody can buy a new computer with Windows XP. What
those companies do is utilise a Windows XP site license which permits them a
specific number of Windows XP machines. If they remain legal, they do not load
Windows XP on to any more machines than their site license allows. And, it is
not possible to increase a Windows XP site license. That said, many companies
automatically wipe the newly purchased computers and load Windows XP even
though their license doesn't cover it. I've heard the claim that if they buy a
computer with Windows on it, they have every right to change the version of
Windows to a previous version, even if Microsoft no longer sells or supports
it. I am unaware of any case law clarifying this one way or the other.

Macs are the same. When you purchase a new mac, just like a new Windows PC, it
is loaded with the latest version of OSX (within a version if close to the
release date). Just as with Windows PCs, you can reformat and load an earlier
version of Mac's OSX. This can go back as far as OSX Leopard, and possibly even
OSX Tiger. Before that point, Mac OS 9 was a completely different operating
system and does not support Pentium chip architecture. It would be akin to
trying to run Windows 9 on a modern Windows PC. The drivers do not exist for
many, if not most, modern components.

Companies which use Macs tend to upgrade much more quickly than companies
running Windows. The main reasons I have heard for this are: the upgrade cost
is minimal, the new OS better supports the high-end graphics the company works
with, and training staff to use the new OS is not very complicated because
Apple tends to maintain underlying OS consistency whilst adding new features
(since OSX, which was a complete change from OS 9).

Windows, on the other hand, apparently requires significant retraining of staff
whenever there is an OS upgrade. Many companies find the expense and loss of
productivity to be too onerous to be worthwhile.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone