I stopped reading at the sentence "We all know that Amazon is evil". It's just
as stupid and narrow-minded as saying as "Facebook is evil" or "the government
is evil".

From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 11:40 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Blog post about Audible/Amazon limiting access to audio books, worth
reading and considering

I do not agree with all the language in this article, but agree whole heartedly
with the sentiment.

The Harmful Impact of Audible Exclusive Audiobooks
by Mark Pearson on July 27, 2020 in Audiobooks

We are Libro.fm, an audiobook platform that makes it possible for you to buy
audiobooks directly through your local bookstore. We are fiercely independent
and we oppose Amazon’s efforts to prevent independent bookstores and libraries
from providing certain audiobooks, called Audible Exclusives.

One frequently-asked question we get from Libro.fm listeners is why certain
audiobooks aren’t available on our platform—like Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
and Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb.

Is there a word for grief as it relates to being very interested in a story
only to find out it’s an Audible exclusive— Bex (@BDingz) July 15, 2020

While Libro.fm has a catalog of over 150,000 audiobooks—and more than 99% of
all The New York Times bestsellers—some titles are unavailable due to exclusive
licenses granted by audiobook publishers and authors to Amazon’s Audible.

What does Audible Exclusive or Audible Original mean?

we all know amazon is evil, but did you know that when a book becomes an
audible exclusive, libraries cannot buy copies of that audiobook? did you know
that capitalism is the enemy of accessibility?— Alyssa (@imajoyk) June 10, 2020

For Audible listeners, the yellow band on a book cover reading “only from
Audible” facilitates a feeling of access to premium content, but for the rest
of the book world, it’s an access barrier.

It means that the audiobook in question can only be sold through Amazon’s
Audible. No other retailers or providers can sell or distribute the digital
audiobook, including bookstores and libraries.

Books should be equally accessible to all, and Audible Exclusive
audiobooks—also known as Audible Originals—are the antithesis of that.

How does an audiobook become an Audible Exclusive?

This is going to get a little technical, but stick with us. It begins with the
Audiobook Creation Exchange (ACX), a marketplace launched by Audible in 2011
that connects narrators, authors, agents, publishers, and rights-holders to
create audiobooks. The decision to make an audiobook Exclusive is made by
authors, publishers, and agents—it depends on who is granted the audio rights
to a book.

Why do these parties choose this option? ACX offers higher royalties to
creators (i.e. more money from audiobook sales) if they opt for Exclusive
distribution. If a creator wants to distribute their audiobook to other
audiobook platforms or libraries, they will earn 15% to 20% less of retail
sales from ACX. The ACX system rewards exclusivity, so it’s easy to see why
authors and publishers spring for this opportunity.

Within the ACX world, Audible Studios is the production arm of Audible. They
pay authors like Mark Manson (Love Is Not Enough), Margaret Atwood (The
Handmaid’s Tale), and Alice Walker (The Color Purple) giant sums to keep their
audiobooks exclusive to Audible, and prevent bookstores and libraries from
selling and distributing them.

What does this mean for audiobook distribution?

Librarian Friends: If an audio book is part of Audible's "Only on Audible"
exclusive thing, does that mean people can't get the audiobook through the
library? Books in the program include "Born a Crime" and "Handmaid's Tale."—
Hank Green (@hankgreen) November 14, 2019

Libraries, bookstores, schools, and anyone who isn’t affiliated with Amazon
cannot distribute audiobooks that are Audible Exclusives. This means Libro.fm
can’t sell Audible Exclusive audiobooks, which means our 1,200 bookstore
partners can’t sell them, either.

Having the audiobook NOT be an Audible exclusive *big wink*Libraries are
pissssssed by that move. https://t.co/hKuU3JSCFq— ☘🌈💰Jen is Irish everyday💰🌈☘
(@JentoInfinity) February 7, 2019

Audible Exclusives also work in direct opposition to the basic principles of
libraries—free access to books, both digital and print. By limiting
distribution, Amazon aids in making books, perspectives, and information
inaccessible to certain communities and users.

To reiterate: There are audiobooks being published that bookstores cannot sell,
and libraries cannot lend.

This hurts bookstores because they are consistently missing out on sales for
big releases. When they aren’t able to sell audiobooks that are in high demand,
potential customers will opt for Audible over their local bookstores. This, of
course, only continues to increase Audible’s (and ultimately Amazon’s) power
and influence within the publishing industry, resulting in more Exclusive deals
and increasingly restricted access to audiobooks for the rest of the market.

Because audiobooks are a digital product, they’re inherently easier for Amazon
to monopolize. For example, the superstar-stacked audiobook for The Sandman by
Neil Gaiman and DC Comics is only available on Audible:

Full-cast audiobook Sandman adaptation is a FANTASTIC idea – that I can't even
get excited about properly because it's a freaking Audible exclusive. Which
means libraries are excluded. Which means our patrons are excluded. So that's
fun. #libcomix— Matthew Noe 😔💜 (@NoetheMatt) May 13, 2020

Audiobooks are also a vital means of access for some readers with disabilities:

due to disabilities, some people need audiobooks to read. people with
disabilities are more likely to be underemployed/unemployed, thus they rely on
the library for access to audiobooks.amazon putting a pay wall between
someone’s disabled audience and their book is hot garbage.— whitney 🧸
(@ginkgo_ghost) November 14, 2019

How else does Audible bar audiobook access?

Audible pays some publishers to embargo new audiobook releases for 90
days—meaning that for the first three months of sales, the audiobook can only
be found on Audible.

Audible also doesn’t allow Libro.fm and bookstore customers to make certain
audiobooks redeemable with membership credits—books like The Neapolitan Novels
by Elena Ferrante and Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad.

By rewarding Exclusive distribution, striking Exclusive deals with influential
authors, and paying publishers to delay the distribution of new releases,
Audible’s creeping monopoly pushes independent bookstores and libraries out of
the audiobook industry.

I’m an author. How do I prevent Amazon’s Audible from shutting out independent
bookstores and libraries?

First, understand the contract with your publisher. Are they producing the
audiobook, or licensing it to another publisher? Either way, add language into
your agreement that requires your audiobook to be sold through independent
bookstores and made available through libraries.

Second, if your publisher is planning to contract or license the audiobook
version, ensure that your publisher puts language in their licensing agreement
that prevents the audiobook publisher from selling your title exclusively to
Amazon’s Audible. If your audiobook is currently Exclusive, you might be able
to change the distribution rights after a year depending on the payment option
you have chosen. Learn more here.

Looking to learn more about offering your audiobook through Libro.fm? Read our
Author Guide.

How is this any different from television and movie streaming platforms that
produce originals?

Most original series and movies are still available to loan from your public
library, and you can purchase DVDs online. The level of accessibility to all is
much higher. Audible Exclusive audiobooks are only available through Amazon’s
platform and not available through libraries or bookstores.

How can we work together to make change?

1. Make the #AudiobookSwitch.

When you choose Libro.fm over Audible, you support our 1,300+ bookstore
partners, invest in your local community, and get audiobook recommendations
from real booksellers—not an algorithm.

By spending money with intention, we can collectively work to not let
audiobooks become another form of privatized entertainment controlled by a
single entity.

Make the switch from Audible to Libro.fm. The more people we move away from
their platform, the more power we take away from a singular provider in the
industry. With Libro.fm, you get to choose a local bookstore to support, so
you’re putting money back into your community.

switch to libro.fm

2. Reach out to authors and publishers.

Authors can change the story by ditching Audible, so reach out or tag authors
on social media who have chosen the Exclusive path and share your feelings.
Sharing this post with them might be a good place to start, perhaps with the
statement “Choosing Audible Exclusive for your audiobook restricts audience
access and hurts bookstores and libraries.”

We recommend Author’s Republic as the ACX alternative. Their audiobooks will be
available on Libro.fm, libraries, and wherever audiobooks are sold or
distributed. Publishers can also produce their own audiobooks and distribute to
Libro.fm via Ingram Plus, Findaway, and Zebralution.

3. Spread the word.

Share this blog post to help educate others on this issue. You can even reshare
our Instagram post to your Story or retweet our tweet.

If you’re a member, tell your friends, family, colleagues, and everyone you
know about Libro.fm—when you refer someone, you get free audiobooks. We also
offer bulk audiobook purchases for organizations.

Refer a friend

BULK AUDIOBOOK PURCHASES

Even if you don’t make an account with Libro.fm, it’s important that people are
informed and aware of the harmful tactics that Amazon’s Audible uses to control
the audiobook market. When you choose Libro.fm over Audible, you support our
1,200 bookstore partners, invest in your local community, and get audiobook
recommendations from real booksellers—not an algorithm.

Want to read more?

A testimonial: “Audible Exclusives limit disabled audiobook fans like me.”“
“We Need to Talk About Audible” by Cory Doctorow
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/84384-we-need-to-talk-about-audible.html

US Publishers, Authors, Booksellers Call Out Amazon’s ‘Concentrated Power’ in
the Market”
“[American Booksellers Association] Releases Report Detailing Amazon’s
Anti-competitive Behavior”
https://www.bookweb.org/news/aba-releases-report-detailing-amazons-anti-competitive-behavior-1625433

Have more questions about Audible Exclusives? Want more action items toward
encouraging fair access to audiobooks? Reach out to us at
he...@libro.fm<mailto:he...@libro.fm> and a real, audiobook-loving human will
get back to you.
Mark Pearson
Mark is a cofounder of Libro.fm. He lives in Seattle where he enjoys running in
the rain, playing tennis when the sun makes an appearance, over and
undercooking food, and reading The New York Times on paper.

Richard
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what
they become by it."
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com<http://www.turner42.com>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/MW4PR17MB45133679939FD5E37109F5E4B7269%40MW4PR17MB4513.namprd17.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/MW4PR17MB45133679939FD5E37109F5E4B7269%40MW4PR17MB4513.namprd17.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.