You certainly can. When iOS 15 is released, I think you'll find the various
focus options to be very helpful in this regard. Until then, however, the
best way to manage notifications is to have them delivered quietly. Do this
by going into setings and into notifications. For each app, you can set how
you want the notifications to be dealt with. To have the notifications
delivered quietly, make certain that the only option selected is to have
them allowed in the notification centre. Deselect banners, sounds and
badges. This way, they'll arrive silently and won't interrupt you. For more
time critical stuff, use the sounds, banners and badges as seems best to
you. It's a somewhat tedious approach but you only have to set things up
once and then change as your circumstances do.
Again, when iOS 15 is released, there'll be far more control as well as
notification summaries which will help tremendously. I currently have the
majority of my apps deliver notifications quietly so I can go into the
notifications centre on my own time and look through them. That means that
I don't always find out about news stories or tweets right away. However,
for things like messages, phone calls, etc, I have those sorts of things
using banners and sounds. I don't make much use of the badges.

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power; The iOS Edition