Ricardo,

Turning screen brightness to 0% does not in fact "turn off" the display, at
least it doesn't on the iPhone. I can say this for sure because I usually
have my screen brightness turned to 0%, but I have often asked one of my
employees to look at something on the iPhone and then they usually tell me
they can hardly see anything and then I remember to turn up the brightness.
However, a sighted person can read the iPhone screen in good light and by
looking directly at it when screen brightness is at 0%. The LCD display
still functions just the same it's only the LED backlighting that the screen
brightness adjusts and it's that which gives contrast to the display and
makes it easy to read.