I actually made that decision and got an iPhone 13 a couple of months ago.
The better performance and battery life were very tempting. I was also able
to get the 512 gb version and thereby double my onboard storage space. The
better camera has proven to be a much more appreciated improvement that I
would ever have guessed given my total blindness.
Part of what decided me was my concern around price hikes and supply
shortages over the next number of years. Particularly for those of us on
fixed incomes, we're in for a rough stretch. Having as up to date a tool as
I can afford seemed like a good idea. It does so many things in life that
I'd hate to have the battery be worn out or some other thing go wrong when
I might not be able to afford a replacement. My XR is still kept as a
backup and is also helpful when I demonstrate apps while on Zoom calls
among other things. The performance difference is certainly noticable
between the two phones. However, it wouldn't be disasterous if I needed to
send my new phone for repairs and use it as my main phone again. That
wasn't the case for my iPhone 7 which I've given to a niece who wanted it.
Going from a 7 to an XR, you really feel the difference. So many things,
including VoiceOver, make heavy use of the AI neural engine. The XR with
its A12 chip can still hang in there but I get the sense that its future as
my backup might be two or three years at the very most.

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power; The iOS Edition