It's a goood idea to do as Chris suggests and have it in the rotor. The
place to turn the whole feature on or off is in the VoiceOver recognition
settings. You'll find these right near the Braille settings when you go
into settings, accessibility VoiceOver.
I think people should really have this setting turned off unless they find
an app which isn't very accessible by default. It screws up apps which are
already quite accessible. The good news is that VoiceOver remembers what
choices you make on an app by app basis. Therefore, once you master using
the rotor, you can have the setting on the rotor and quickly enable or
disable the setting as required. You'll only have to do this once per app.
I think this would also hold true if you put the setting in quick settings
and did it that way while in a given app.

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power; The iOS Edition