It all depends on what keyboard you're using. Some Bluetooth keyboards
don't report their battery status to the battery widget on your iPhone.
Also, there are things like the size of battery your keyboard has and
whether backlighting or RGB lighting is used. These factors can change how
long you can go between having to charge your keyboard. Typically,
keyboards which feature backlighting or RGB lighting will have keyboard
commands to turn that lighting off to save tons of power. It can make a
massive difference. You can usually find the manual for your keyboard
online and discover the command in therre or often by reading or listening
to reviews of your keyboard. You could then get sighted assistence to let
you know if the lighting is disabled. The Be My Eyes app or FaceTime would
be good for this. Once I'm aware of the needed key command, I've been able
to use the light detecting function in Seeing AI to tell whether my
keyboard lighting is off. It's easier to tell if your keyboard and iPhone
are in a darker place.
In the best case, your keyboard will report its battery level to iOS and
you can use the battery widget to check its current level. It can also
indicate when your keyboard is charging. Remember that you can change the
order of the widgets on your today view and move the battery widget to the
top.
With keyboards which don't report their battery level, you could use an app
like Aira to get sighted assistance in checking the battery level. You'd
need to read about how your keyboard indicates the level of charge. It's
usually done via status lights. Other than that, good charging habits are
what you'll need. What I tend to do is to have an external power bank with
me and plug my keyboard and iPhone into it while I work. That way, only the
power bank drains and you're keyboard will remain topped up. This way, I
just need to remember to charge the power bank regularly. If you don't like
the idea of having the cables around all the time, then you should probably
plug your keyboard in every few days or so. That way, it will be ready if
circumstances prevent you from doing this. Hope that helps.

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power: Getting The Most From iOS as a Totally Blind User