I generally find it annoying if I'm listening to something like music or a
soundscape. Audio ducking is very drastic and lowers the volume such that
you'll be pulled out of any flow state. Sound scapes and music are dropped
in volume enough that you'll miss hearing things other than VoiceOver. It
depends on what you most value hearing at the time. I wish there was a
settting to control how drastic the volume of other audio is ducked. Even
better would be an ability to set the relative volumes of things so
VoiceOver was loud enough to always be distinguished. It's an imperfect but
at times useful tool..

--
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power: Getting The Most From iOS as a Totally Blind User