Hello Jenny,

I just had a look at Settings > Display and Brightness and you have to realize
that there are two entirely separate things here.
At the top you have "Appearance" and here you can select either "Light", "Dark"
or "Auto". This refers to the colour scheme, light mode, dark mode or automatic.
In dark mode the screen emits less light, backgrounds are dark and text is
lighter.
In light mode it is the opposite, backgrounds are very light and text or other
things are darker.
On phones with OLED screens dark mode will use a bit less power because darjk
pixels consume less power which is why turning on screen curtain where the
entire screen has only black pixels will save some power.
I am not entirely sure when "auto" is selected when light or dark is used, but
I would recommend that you should turn your Appearance to "dark".

The next area is screen brightness and once again, the higher of a percentage
you see there the more battery is used. If screen brightness is set to auto the
screen adjusts based on the light around you. In a dark room a sighted person
can see the screen perfectly well with the brightness at 0%, but if you were
outside in bright sunlight and you wanted to show somebody something on your
phone they probably couldn't see hardly anything that way and brightness would
have to be turned up to probably at least 50% or 60%.
The best option is to set screen brightness to auto. As Richard pointed out
Apple has set it up so that if Voiceover is running and you turn on the screen
curtain, brightness is reduced to 0% and this will be optimal for battery
saving. However, if you are in a position where a sighted person might want to
take a look at your phone then as soon as you either turn the screen curtain
off or if you turn Voiceover off entirely, the screen will once again be
visible and brightness will be at a level where it is easy for a sighted person
to see it.
The next item in Display and Brightness is "True Tone". There is an explanation
below it so I won't go into it, but I turn it on because I do often show
sighted people my screen because maybe I want to show them a picture or
whatever, and then I prefer it to look as good as possible.
Nightshift is the next item and for a blind person it is of little concern, you
can read what it is by tappin on it.
The next two buttons are also important, Auto Lock determins how quickly your
iPhone's screen locks when you don't use it and of course this also has a big
impact on battery life. I know there are some how set this to "Never" as they
prefer to always lock their screen by pressing the side button. I personally am
not one of them and I want my screen to lock quickly, but maybe not totally
quickly so instead of 30 seconds which is the shortest time I set auto lock to
1 minute.
Lastly there is the "Raise to Wake" which I believe most of turn off. If you
turn it on the screen wakes up as soon as you raise your phone from the table
or take it out of your pocket, belt holster or purse. I prefer to wake my phone
up manually by tapping the screen or pressing the side button. The "Tap to
wake" is also a setting you can turn on and off, I think it's somewhere in
accessibility settings.

To summarize again, turn "Dark" on under Appearance, select "auto" for
brightness and turn Raise to wake off. Then turn the screen curtain on if you
want the most battery saving.

Of course there are other settings which probably make more of a difference on
battery life than screen curtain, things like how much you use background app
refresh, what you allow in location services is a big one and also if you have
an email address set up whether you use Push or only tell it to get email every
30 minutes or even manually when you open the Mail app. It's always a trade off
between features/convenience and battery life. I personally couldn't care less
if my phone is at 40% or 20% at the end of the day, I rather have less battery
left and get the most out of the features I want including getting email as it
arrives.