I think Mark’s question is perfectly reasonable and has become confused with
other issues.

Here in the UK my understanding is that iPhone models come with a removable SIM
tray.  When I discussed ESIM with my provider EE the person I spoke to was far
from advising me that an ESIM was the way to go.

Malcolm Parfitt