From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2022 11:23 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Mark and iPhone 14 Pro Max, Together at Last

It seems Apple will be discontinuing the iPhone 13 family or at least the
iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max. Telus, my provider here in Canada, recently had such a
good deal on the iPhone 13 Pro that I decided to upgrade from my iPhone 11 even
though I initially hadn't planned to get a new phone this year. Of course I
also wanted to get my wife an iPhone 13 Pro, she has an 11 Pro currently.
Anyways, when I did my order online with Telus only the iPhone 13 Pro 256 Gb in
Sierra blue was offered. Since that is plenty of storage for me (I currently
have 64 Gb on my 11 and use a bit more than half) I placed my order. Afterwards
and probably within 10 minutes I completed my wife's order and received a
screen with order confirmation. My phone then shipped the next day (I placed
the order on December 8) and I received it on Monday, December 12. Since I
wanted to give my wife the phone for Christmas I simply left my phone in the
box so she wouldn't notice I had a new phone and though er phone must come
soon. When I had received nothing a few days later I called Telus and the rep
told me the phone would ship any day now and I'd get it at the latest on Monday
the 19th. The 19th came and went with  no phone nor a shipment confirmation
email so yesterday I called Telus again and then after quite a long wait when I
was put on hold again and again the rep said that phone had been cancelled. He
said I would have received an email, but when I told him I had not he checked
and realized they had a completely incorrect email on the order even though I
had entered it correctly and receive a confirmation email. I then started
complaining about the mess up, the fact the other agent a few day sbefore told
me the phone would ship soon and general lack of communication. He was very
understanding, put me on hold again to talk to his boss and then asked if I
would be interested in an iPhone 14. I told him if anything only in the Pro
model so he read me off their current offer which also sounded not too bad, but
I insisted that Telus should give me something for all that inconvenience and
the fact that most likely I would now not have a phone to give to my wife for
Christmas. I suggested he should tell his supervisor that I would be happy with
a one-time credit of maybe $250 which would have offset the additional monthly
cost and higher buy-out price. All of these offers are based on a 2-year
contract with no upfront payment, a certain monthly payment and then I can
either give the device back to Telus and get something new or pay the buy-out
price and keep it. Anyways, he said he would have to work all this out and he
would call me back the next day (Tuesday) to confirm. I heard nothing on
Tuesday so this morning I called again and this time had a much better agent on
the line. He then told me that what the other agent had quoted me was in fact
for an iPhone 14 not a 14 Pro and in the end he put me through to a different
agent in the loyalty and retention department. She then asked me if I would
possibly be interested in a 13 Pro Max, but I said that would really be my last
choice, she then said they also still had some regular iPhone 13 Pro models
with 512 Gb so basically the same as I ordered, but instead of 256 Gb it has
512 Gb of storage. I asked her if she couldn't just call it even because of all
the hassle so now I am again waiting because she has to clear it with her
supervisor. At least this lady sent me an email and when I didn't get a call
around 6 PM Pacific time I emailed her assuming she was done for the day, but
she replied within a couple of minutes that she couldn't get everything cleared
up and she would call me tomorrow morning around 8:30 or 9.
I guess I will see how this ends, I told her that unless they figure out a
solution which does not cost me an arm and a leg I would want to send my iPhone
13 Pro back as well, I would expect them to reinstate my previous plan which
was not a 5G plan and was $10 cheaper and that I would simply continue for
another year with my iPhone 11.
Of course I also used a Best Buy gift card I bought with points from my credit
card to order two Belkin 3-in-1 MagSafe charging docks and they of course won't
do me much good without a phone which supports MagSafe.
But it definitely looks like the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max and maybe the
regular iPhone 13 are being discontinued and once the remaining stock from
carriers, at Apple Stores and other retailers is gone that will be it. I don't
know if Apple is doing this to boost the lackluster sales performance of the
iPhone 14 and 14 Plus or if ti was always part of the plan, might also be a
preparation for the new iPhone SE which is rumoured to come out in March or
April next year.