Hi to all,
Richard, you said:
"...The one Apple sells for either USB or SD card connection works fine with books.
On a phone, it always requires external power.".
Sorry for a stupid question, but what external power do you mean?
Do you need to purchase any additional accessories like adapter to get external power or just regular Iphone/Ipad charger? My friend has "Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter. She plugs it to the Iphone charging port. The adapter has two ports on the other end, One port is for plugging USb drives,  another port is for lightning Iphone/Ipad cable to charge Iphone.
She didn't mention extra power when she uses the adapter with her Iphone.
Thanks.
Maria