I went back and tried Mark's steps. With VoiceOver on, that speaking controller
is very inconsistent at best. And, I never could get it to work with Kindle.
However, just using VoiceOver, and getting to where I wanted to start reading,
and swiping down with two fingers VO read just fine and flipped the pages. Yes,
there is a pause as the page turns, but it works.

Richard, USA
“Grandma always told us, “Be careful when you pray for patience. God stores it
on the other side of Hell and you will have to go through Hell to get it.”
-- Cedrick Bridgeforth

My web site: https://www.turner42.com/