Hi Kawal,

I meant a stereo or home theatre surround sound receiver. I am not sure if
you have a stereo system and if so if it is a portable system or if you have
a system with components such as an amplifier/receiver, a CD player,
speakers etc. Most newer amplifyers or receivers have a number of input
connectors which allow you to hook up things like CD Players, DVD Players
and so on. Anything that has video as well as audio like a DVD player,
satellite or cable box typically use the so-called HDMI connectors which
stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. Both sound and video are
transmitted in one cable. A optical digital connection transmits audio only
and it is also a common input on most newer amplifyers or receivers and by
"newer" I mean anything that is not much older than 10 years.

I don't think you can connect an Apple TV to an iMac and I don't see much
reason why you would, but that would be a question for somebody at the Apple
store where you are buying your iMac. The Apple TV is a "consumption"
device, it is basically a simple interface which gives you access to various
sources of media including iTunes, third-party subscription services such as
Netflix, publically available stuff like Internet Radio and YouTube and
media in your own iTunes library on your computer. It is designed strictly
to stream this content on a TV either by connecting it directly to a TV with
an HDMI cable or to a receiver with either an HDMI cable or optical cable.