Before I got rid of Google voice, it did work that way. If you blocked that number their calls automatically heard the old the number you have reached is no longer in service thing. The caller never knew they had been blocked. When a call did come in you could either answer it or wait. If you waited, the call would switch over to voice mail. In settings, you could set how long it rang before going to voice mail. If the caller left a voice message, you were sent an email informing you of new voice mail.

I got an email from Google informing me that if I wasn't using Google voice that I could keep my account and give up the phone number and could get a new number at any time by logging into my Google voice account and picking a new number.

HTH
----- Original Message ----- From: "MamaPeach" <mamape...@charter.net>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:48 AM
Subject: Re: google voice

Do you have it to where when you answer a call it will tell you who is calling and then you can hit buttons to either reject call, send the call to voice mail, answer the call, etc?? I am asking this because people tell me that they are asked for their name and then it will attempt to connect them, but when I answer, it never tells me who is calling. I am guessing I have something configure incorrectly but I can't figure out what. Any ideas?

-----Original Message----- From: Christopher Chaltain