The limit is 25000 songs that you have not purchased from the iTunes Store.
There is no limit to the number of tracks you can have that have been purchased
from the Store.

It depends on what you mean by off the grid. You can certainly stream iTunes
Match content from the cloud over a cellular connection, but it's going to
consume about 2 MB per minute, so you'd want to be on a pretty healthy data
plan. It's also possible to disable streaming over cellular as a safeguard
against you inadvertently using all your data. Yes, you can certainly download
individual tracks or playlists in advance. This is a good strategy if you know
you're going to be out of coverage, or without wifi.

Jonathan