Hi Sieghard, Wow many thanks for all the info. I wonder if you know if the voice on the Iphone 5 is louder than what was on the iphone 4. I ask this as I ware two hearing aids and find the voice hard to listen to some times. You've surely given me plenty to think about.

Thanks once again   Regards Andy   S

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 4:22 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: question Iphone 5

Hi Andy,

I won't list all the advantages of an iPhone over any other phone if you
happen to be a blind user, but here are the main points:

Blind or not blind, the iPhone is the most popular single phone, it is one
of the fastest, best designed and, in the case of the iPhone 5, I think it
is also the thinnest smartphone currently available. It also has one of the
best cameras, not necessarily in Megapixels, but it has been proven many
times that pictures taken with an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 are better than
those taken with another phone which has a camera with a higher Megapixel
sensor. This is because just the sensor isn't responsible, it also the
quality of the lens and the way the image is processed.

For a visually impaired person, the iPhone has by far the best
accessibility. Android accessibility is definitely better now than it was a
year or 2 ago, but while iPhone accessibility is being improved as well, the
iPhone was just as accessible 3 years ago already as it is now. Because
Apple has such control over both hardware, the iOS platform and the app
store, everything just works. Of course there are bugs as well, but Apple's
commitment to accessibility is probably stronger than Google's and while
Google seems to improve accessibility as well, the many differences in the
hardware from so many manufacturers and the stuff they do with Android to
customize it to their liking simply makes it more difficult.

In total there are many more games on the iOS side than the Android side.
iDevices are the biggest mobile gaming platform and you can listen to last
week's "Today in iOS" Podcast which you can find at www.TodayInIOS.com if
you want to hear more on that topic.

The iPhone may not have as many cool and cutting edge features as Android
nowadays since Apple takes a more conservative approach, but keep in mind
that it was because of Apple's integration of SIRI into iOS and the iPhone
4S why nowadays Android and other platforms are also doing this. When SIRI
first came out some tech pundits laughed it off as a gimmick just as many
thought the iPhone itself when it was first released in 2007 was a temporary
phenomena and fad which people would soon put aside and forget about.
Android may have happened anyways, but to a large degree Android came about
because of the iPhone and because of the vision Steve Jobbs had.

Whether you buy an iPhone or not is entirely up to you, it's not up to me or
anybody else to convince you beyond pointing out the facts, but if you do
your homework you will probably come to the conclusion that unless you
reject the concept of the iPhone and maybe Apple as a whole for whatever
reason, the iPhone is the best choice if a blind person wants the most
accessible smartphone. If you don't mind fiddling around and going through a
lot of frustration then an Android phone maybe right for you, but if you
don't like Apple's control you can always Jailbreak the iPhone which gives
you a lot more flexibility as to what you can do with it. Beyond that I
would encourage you to search the list archives if you have questions first
as after years of list traffic just about everything you can think of has
been discussed on here and, as I already said, the Today in iOS podcast is
one of the best sources for information about the iPhone and the iOS
platform.