From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Raul A. Gallegos
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:24 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Moderator's note Re: Note Master on sale for both the iPhone
and iPad

Hello Bob. Normally I do send messages privately to the individual who needs
a personal moderator note for list behavior. However this is one of those
situations where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'll explain. If I keep messages private to someone who needs a moderator
message then I get messages from list members asking me why I haven't dealt
with the offender. The reason is because it looks like I'm not doing
anything. Now, if I handle it publicly, then I get a message on list,
instead of privately I might add, about how I'm attacking a list member and
that I should have done it privately. Perhaps you should have written me
privately to follow your own advice? In any case, I don't like having to put
people on list moderation because it generates more work for me and because
I think that most everyone here is an adult and can conduct themselves
accordingly. I could take the extreme approach and just revoke posting
privileges completely, but I don't choose to go that route either.

Moderating a list can be a tough job because you risk alienating people when
you have to perform your duties. In my business I have to keep good
relationships because I'm in the access technology training field. It's been
suggested that I should not moderate a list whose topic covers what I teach
clients because of a conflict of interest, but I don't see it that way. I
see this list as an overall positive forum with a lot of good information
and good networking for iOS and iThingy users. I love the iPhone and iOS and
want to be a part of a community such as this list. Since I have list
moderating experience and since a moderator was needed when Cara needed
help, I volunteered, and here I am. If you have a problem with how the list
is handled, please write me or Cara Quinn off list and we will do our best
to explain why something was done, or to fix the problem.

Earlier this week I had to write a message to someone who I consider a
friend to tell him about some list conduct problems. I didn't like doing
that, but it's something I had to do for the good of the list in general. I
could have avoided that and simply moderated his postings, but I chose to
talk to him about it instead. As far as I know things have worked out just
fine. However no one knows about that because I didn't post about it.

So, why did I write to Bryan publicly? In case you are wondering, it wasn't
to attack him or make an example of him. It was because I want the list to
know that this isn't the kind of behavior we the list owner and moderator
tolerate. This kind of thing has been happening a lot more of late as you
pointed out, and if I keep all of this private, then it looks like I'm not
doing anything about it.
So, again, I'm back at square 1.

Thanks for reading this, and now, let's truly close this topic. If anyone
else has any issues with this, write me or Cara privately. If anyone doesn't
agree with a list decision I've made, write Cara directly and let her know.

Thank you all.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Twitter and Facebook user ID: rau47

On 5/9/2013 8:27 AM, Robert Fenton wrote:
> Hello everybody:
>
> I don't usually respond to notes such as this but I am noticing a very
disturbing trend on this list when discussions get heated and the moderators
have to step in. While I generally support the moderators in breaking up the
disputes, some of the tactics being used for doing so only serve to
demonstrate or emulate the behaviors that were problematic in the first
place. The note below is a good example of this problem. In attempting to
raise concerns about behavior that needed to be dealt with where one list
member was attacking others, the moderator used this forum to in turn attack
the offender.

> Rather than proceeding this way, could the moderators consider sending a
message like the one below solely to the perceived offender while, at the
same time, notifying the rest of the specific infraction, the behavioral
standard that is expected and that the matter has been raised directly with
the person who breached the behavioral standard? That way, other list
members can pattern good behaviors rather than problematic ones in
circumstances like this.

> Thanks for listening. Bob Fenton
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2013-05-08, at 9:16 PM, "Raul A. Gallegos" <r...@raulgallegos.com>
wrote:

>> Hello Bryan and everyone else. Let's close this thread now. I've already
stated that I don't think Eileen's original message was done wrong, and so
keeping this discussion going is not really doing anything other than taking
up time and inbox space.

>> Bryan, someone has already given you the app description which you could
have gotten on your own with the link provided in the original email. So, at
least you have that in case you don't have the skills to follow the link
yourself to get the information. In the future, you might try posting a
message which doesn't come off rude, like what you said to Christopher and
to Rick. If you don't have the skills necessary to follow a link yourself,
please say so. If you just don't have the time, which is what I think you
actually said, then simply erase the message and move on and only read
messages from list members who copy and paste the app description page into
their emails.

Then later to Rick you said:

>> "that's the attitude i expected when ignorant perceived power users don't
give a squat about others just getting started with their phone!"

>> So, that right there could be taken as you don't have the skills
necessary to look up app information on your own. maybe Rick intimidated you
by his honest approach. I don't know, so I can't assume. What I do know is
that you seem to be the only one having issues with this. And if you are
not, then others who do are not voicing it out loud on the list and wasting
everyone's time.

>> Thanks, and I hope you had the time to at least read this message.
>>
>> --
>> Raul A. Gallegos
>> Soft kitty, Warm kitty, Little ball of fur. Happy kitty, Sleepy
>> kitty, Purr, purr, purr. - Sheldon Cooper Twitter and Facebook user
>> ID: rau47
>>
>> On 5/8/2013 8:19 PM, Bryan Schulz wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i didn't initially read more because i was just wanting to know why
>>> it was better than the similar feature already loaded.
>>> think away
>>> Bryan Schulz
>>>

>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynda Ingraham"
>>> <lynda.ingra...@gmail.com>