Hi, the latest version of Google maps start button isn't spoken as start button, but as something inocuus. Just tap the bottom center of the screen and double tap and the directions will start. I use this app almost daily to get bus directions here in Houston for the Metro and it works super. It's true that it could use some better accessibility, but it still works the way it is.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
If you're having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300. It is now worth $59,565,410,309. - Sheldon Cooper