You get esper if you finish in the top 3 in a tournament. In my game I see:
#1 500 esper
#2 250 esper
#3 100 esper

In the quests called Seasoned Warriors, Battle Standards, you get esper. Right now I[m getting 10 esper a quest.

You also get esper from the quest where you name your castle and a few other quests as well.

I don't see any shops that provide esper, and I'm on level 32. If someone could provide the name of a shop that provides esper, I'd like to know about it since I'd be interested in such a shop.