Hello Tessa, Donna, Jodie, Andy and others,

This is one of the most annoying characteristics of Voiceover and I hope
that all of you who dislike this as much as me write to
accessibil...@apple.com to request that in some future update Voiceover is
just silenced when a call is active. Andy's suggestion to turn off push
notifications to me is something I should not have to do, I have an iPhone
and use apps which have push notifications because that is what I want and
having to turn off all push notifications just so my phone calls aren't
interrupted is equivalent to saying you have to turn off WiFi, Bluetooth,
Push email and location services just so I can get better battery life. I
don't need a fancy smartphone if I have to disable half its features to stop
it from doing one annoying thing.

This discussion has come up before and I know some people have argued in
favour of all of this chatter happening although I really don't know why
somebody would want their phone to start reading a text message, an email or
a news headline while one is on a phone call. When this happens to me I
sometimes have to ask the other party to hold on for a moment until
Voiceover shuts up or I can shut it up because I can't hear them any more.
The iPhone is after all also a cell phone and while some people may use it
more for other stuff than actual calling, for me it is my only personal line
and I also use it for my business so I do receive and make a lot of calls
and I really hope that maybe in iOS 7 Apple has done something about this.
In my opinion Voiceover should just be quiet during a call, but I guess it
would be OK if at least there was a setting where one could enable this and
that way those who like to hear all of this stuff while they are on the
phone can continue to do so. The same goes for Voiceover constantly
announcing the call duration, also annoying and completely unnecessary, if I
want to check how long I have been on the phone I can easily touch the
screen and check and I don't have to hear it every 20 or 30 seconds. I
understand that I can turn speech off with a 3-finger double tap and I
sometimes do that, but it's a major pain in the winter when my iPhone is in
my pocket or belt clip under a heavy coat and I am wearing gloves.