I think you've always been able to just put a URL into the search field of the Apple Podcasts app to subscribe to any podcast. For example, this article came out right after the podcasts app was released: http://www.cultofmac.com/179374/subscribe-to-any-podcast-directly-with-apples-podcast-app-ios-tips/

Hi Shane,

At one point Apple did somewhat control what Podcasts you could listen to
with their app. I really am not an authority on the Apple Podcast app since
I only used it very little when it first came out. I was at first excited
and thought this would be good, but I think most people were quite
disappointed by it. It definitely was not the polished "it just works" kind
of product Apple is known for. They had some sort of catalogue and I think
if a particular Podcast was not part of that you couldn't get it.
I think at this point this restriction is lifted so you should be able to
find most Podcasts you find with Downcast or if not use a specific URL/feed.
I only listen regularly to about 2 or 3 different Podcasts and I really like
Downcast so at this point I don't see much reason to use the Apple Podcast
app.
As for not being able to stream, I assume there might be a setting in the
Apple Podcast app (possibly you have to access it via the Settings app)
where maybe by default streaming over 3G/LTE is turned off. Once again, this
is just a guess.