Thanks. Had already turned it on, but was thinking  there was something more I
had to do! Now I'm sorted, and I don't intend thieves should get mine!

Carol P
Sent from my iPhone using MBraille

On 8 Oct 2013, at 07:36 pm, Sieghard Weitzel <siegh...@live.ca> wrote:

Hi Eileen and Carol,

Yes, Eileen, you can wipe the phone if you log into iCloud or use Find my
iPhone on another iDevice. I don't think that this turns off Find my iPhone,
though.

Carol, you do not have to have the Find my iPhone app downloaded for this to
work. All you have to do is go into Settings, iCloud and turn on Find my
iPhone. The app is only an interface to track down a lost or stolen device
from another iDevice. If you, for example, have an iPad and if memory serves
me right I think you do, it would make sense to download Find my iPhone to
your iPad and, I guess, you could just have it on your iPhone, too, in case
your iPad was stolen. I assume most people are more likely to have their
iPhone stolen since you would more often have it with you and use it in
public.

The fact is that you need sighted help anyways whether you use Find my
iPhone or iCloud.com to track it since it will show the location of your
phone on a map.

The so-called "Kill Function" which Apple has built into iOS 7 makes it much
more difficult for a thief to actually get something out of the phone since
like I said before, it prevents somebody from turning off Find my iPhone. I
do think one can still wipe or restore the phone especially if no passcode
has been set. Of course if Ahmed had a passcode on his phone it would make
it yet harder for the thief to benefit from steeling the phone.

Eileen, I think security is actually one of the main reasons to upgrade to a
5S especially if you are still on a 4 or 4S and would also benefit from the
better processor, better camera and other new features. I completely agree
with what they said during the keynote regarding how most people can't be
bothered setting up a passcode and that Touch ID makes having your phone
secured a lot easier. Of course there are people who think Apple collects
all these fingerprints and passes them on to the NSA or FBI or whatever, but
I somehow doubt that and in any case, many countries have and many more will
add fingerprints to passports and I couldn't care less if the NSA had my
fingerprint on file since I am not doing anything wrong or illegal and don't
plan to start.
In a way this is a bit like car theft. An iPhone without a passcode is
really not so different from an unlocked car with the keys in the ignition.
However, if you lock your car and have an alarm or even GPS on it
(equivalent to a passcode and turning on Find my iPhone) it's a lot harder
to steel it. OK, so yes, it's still easy to steel an iPhone as opposed to a
car since you can grab it and run away with it and the thief may not know
whether it is secured or not, but hopefully over time as more andmore people
employ these security measures the theft of iPhones will drop because
thieves may not want to take the risk that the device is useless to them and
that they might even be tracked down.

I heard of one case on the Today in iOS Podcast where a couple of guys stole
a ladies iPhone in California. They then went to the beach and had fun
taking pictures of each other not realizing that said lady had Photostream
turned on and that all the pictures of them were nicely uploaded to her
computer. She printed out a few and since she also had Find my iPhone turned
on, the police tracked the phone and easily identified the thieves based on
the pictures.

Best regards,