Hi Sieghard,

Whether or not to buy a phone on contract or unlocked is slightly less clear
cut here.  I had always bought my phones unlocked until now, but I wanted to
get the 5S and there were no off-contract ones available.  I paid £79 (between
$100-$120) for a 5S 64GB on a 2-year contract, and what with the monthly fees,
I wasn't worse off.  It cost me $30 to unlock it through the network.

As an example of how much cheeper contracts are here, my Canadian wife can't
believe she gets a $20 a month contract with unlimited data, unlimited texts
and 600 minutes.  Obviously I'm paying quite a lot more than that for the
phone, but it's still a good deal.

Cheers,

Ed