This most definately must be a bug with IOS 7. I'm using an iPhone 5, running
IOS 704. What you described just happened to me! Once I cleared the app
switcher and turned my phone off, I had to clear settings and iTunes store from
the app switcher and turn off my phone several times before the search field
reappeared in iTunes. I access the iTunes store for ringtones just as you
described; settings, sounds, ringtone, store. Maybe you could try hooking your
device up to your computer and syncing with iTunes just to see if this will
solve the problem. Now that the same problem has presented itself to me, but
has resolved itself, leads me to think that if it is a bug or the phone not
connecting to iTunes store it is a hit or miss problem.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you in resolving your problem.

Donna