I apologize because I do not understand it in a technical way so I cannot
actually define iMAP or POP. I only know what kind of results I get. Back when
I was using pop, my computer or iPhone would download the emails from the
server. When I used my gmail as a pop account, my iPhone would download emails
that were new to it even though I had already downloaded and deleted them from
my computer. So, I had to re-delete them from my iPhone. My computer and my
phone were not “synced” or in other words they did not match at all. Now that I
use iMAP my iPhone and my desktop, my laptop, and my iPad all match. If i
delete an email from my desktop, then all of my other devices reflect that. If
I move an email from one folder to another on my iPhone, my desktop and all
other devices show that email in the folder that I moved it to. If I create a
new folder, (gmail calls them labels) then all of my devices will have this new
folder/label. Also, anything I do on the web version of gmail is reflected on
all of my devices and vice versa. I don’t know if I made any sense. I
absolutely do not know or understand how this happens and what the technical
differences are, sorry. I just know that it’s a setting/preference in gmail and
on your devices that you have to set up and finagle to your liking and I
totally love using iMAP. :)  I only have experience using iMAP through gmail so
I cannot speak for other email/internet providers. I also have no idea how this
works with Microsoft outlook and PC mail clients but I imagine iMAP
functionality is similar but setting it up may be different than what I have
had experience with. :) I switched exclusively to using gmail for it’s iMAP
capabilities and stopped using my internet service providers email.

I suggest you google this for a much better explanation than I am capable of
sharing. LOL! Also, there are peeps on this list that can do a much better and
more thorough job than I have done. All I can really say is that I love iMAP
and how it works for my personal needs. :)
Sent from Christina's iMac :)