Hello,

Somebody asked recently whether VizWiz was still working. I used it
yesterday for the first time on my  iPhone 5S to see if I could get a reply
about what the LED display of my digital thermostat for my in-floor heating
system said.

First of all I took the picture, then as usual I tapped Record and asked my
question. However, when I tapped to send the picture, the app said that no
question had been recorded. I did allow the app to use the microphone and
tried a few more times both with Apple Earpods plugged in and without using
the iPhone's built-in microphone and it appears that it doesn't want to
record the question. Has anybody else experienced this?

Anyhow, I sent the image to webworkers anyways assuming they might get what
I want.

Now it gets interesting. I sent the picture a few minutes before 11 AM and
then did something else for a minute or 2 waiting for a reply. When none
came I used Tap Tap See and within about 20 seconds received a result which
said "Thermostat 26 Degrees" which is exactly what I wanted.

I forgot about VizWiz until about 4:30 PM (5 and a half hours after I sent
the picture) at which time I received 2 push notifications from VizWiz, here
is the text:

1.       Where is the question, it is good looking switch

2.       Thermostat 26 degrees Celsius

So, VizWiz apparently still does work, but even if answers came after 10
minutes instead of 5.5 hours the service is pretty useless in many instances
where you probably want an answer immediately which means at least within a
minute or so.

Of course there is still the issue that at least on my 5S VizWiz also
doesn't seem to record the question. Let's hope Tap Tap See comes up with a
way to ask a question, I think even asking a question you have to type into
a text field would be good and probably even better since a recording takes
up a lot more space hence it takes longer to transmit the picture with a
recording and one can always use SIRI to dictate a short question which is
probably just as good.