When Gmail's default is archive, and Apple Mail does not recognize the initial
archived flag, the messages become unread inbox messages. That's how it
happened to me. So, I changed my Gmail default from archive to delete. I
started with 130,000 messages, and I am down to 28,000 messages I clear out
between 502,000 messages every few days.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone