From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of DJ
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 6:26 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Google Maps; was: Apple Maps Question.

Speaking of spoken turn by turn directions, I loaded a route into my phone
the other day using Google Maps.  I was at home and on Wi-Fi when I did it.
I forgot that cellular data was turned off and began my 30 minute trip.  I
had spoken turn by turn directions for the entire trip.  I discovered that
data was off when I went to create a new route to another destination and
was told to turn data on.

I already knew that Google loaded a map of the requested route into the
device but didn't think that the audio for that trip would be loaded.  It
was a very pleasant surprise indeed.  I'm also guessing that this would work
as long as you don't go too far off of the planned route.

Now, this has me curious.  If I had an iPod touch with an external gps
receiver, would I have the same result?  Someone might try it some time to
find out.

DJ

  _____